Virginia Tech® home

Transfer Requirements

Whether or not you have a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate, you still must meet minimum requirements for admission and must present academic records that are competitive with those of other applicants.

The University minimum high school requirements to be considered for admission are below. Although the admissions committee considers applicants with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale), most competitive applicants will present a GPA of 3.0 or better. In majors where applications often exceed available space, the competetive GPA may be even higher. In addition to a strong overall performance, a key component of creating a competetive transfer application to Virginia Tech is having successfully completed certain course prerequisites prior to admission, as to demonstrate your ability to jump right into your intended program and perform at a high level. Make sure you are on the right track for your major with our Admissions Transfer Roadmaps.

Whether or not you have a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate, you still must meet minimum requirements for admission and must present academic records that are competitive with those of other applicants. All transfer applicants, including those who have completed an associate's degree, must have completed the following minimum requirements:

  • English - four high school units, or one transferable semester of college-level freshman English.
  • Math - three high school units, including algebra I and II and geometry. Preference will be given to those who complete math beyond algebra II. A fourth unit of math is required for engineering, building construction, computer science, geophysics, mathematics, physics, and statistics majors; it is also strongly recommended for majors in the Pamplin College of Business. The fourth unit of math must include one-half unit of trigonometry and one-half unit of advanced algebra or higher math. The minimum college equivalent would be 3 semester hours of transferable math equivalent to Tech's MATH 1014, Precalculus with Transcendental, or MATH 1525, Calculus with Matrices.
  • Social Science - two high school units or one semester of a transferable college equivalent.
  • Laboratory Science - two high school units chosen from biology, chemistry, or physics or one semester of transferable college science, including laboratory.
  • Be in good standing at current or most recent college or university attended.

By the time students graduate from the university, they must meet a foreign language study requirement.

For most majors, the minimum requirement may be met in high school by completing two units of a single foreign or classical language (three units for those students who will graduate from certain majors within Virginia Tech’s College of Science and College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences).

The Office of the University Registrar runs a foreign language program in mid-October for students admitted in the fall semester and in mid-February for students admitted in the spring semester. The program searches students' high school courses to award credit for the foreign language requirement. This program has been expanded to also include students whose native language is not English. Transfer students may need to submit their hgih school transcripts if they will meet the foreign language requirement through course work completed in high school.

If students do not meet the foreign language requirement prior to attending VT, it may also be met after admission by one of the following:

  1. Earning 6 semester hours of college-level foreign or classical language credit. Such credits are in addition to that number normally required for graduation in a student's program of study.
  2. Receiving credit by examination for a foreign or classical language.

Transfer applicants must select a specific major. Transfers may not apply to University Studies (US), Explore Technology (XT), or any of the undecided majors within academic colleges. Applicants interested in any engineering field, including Computer Science and Computer Engineering should apply to the major General Engineering (GE).

Find the Transfer Application Checklist here:

A special application for undergraduate international transfer students is available online.

International applicants must meet all transfer requirements as stated on the admission international transfer website:

Non-English transcripts and documents must be submitted in original form, with a certified English translation. A detailed description of each course or subject studied (including textbook used and author) must be submitted. Applications without this information cannot be considered. Graduates of 13-year systems must submit syllabi for their final year of study. It is required for International applicants seeking to transfer to Virginia Tech have any and all credentials from international educational system(s) evaluated by a professional credential evaluation service. Transfer credit will not be awarded until the evaluation and official transcript are received by the Office of the University Registrar. Please note: This is a requirement of the Office of the University Registrar, who is responsible for transcript evaluation. However, having this done will also aid the Admissions Committee.

The following professional agencies are among those recognized by Virginia Tech:

Global Credential Evaluators
P.O. Box 9203
College Station, TX 77842-9203 USA
Phone: 800-707-0979
Fax: 512-528-9293
Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc.
9461 Charleville Blvd, Box #188
Beverly Hills, CA 90212 USA
Phone: (310) 275-3530
Fax: (310) 275-3528
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
P. O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470 USA
Phone: 414-289-3400
Fax: 414-289-3411
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Education Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173 USA
Phone: 305-273-1616
Fax: 305-273-1338; Translation Fax: 305-273-1984
World Education Services (WES)1
ATTN: Documentation Center
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087 USA
Phone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6100

Please contact these agencies for fees and applications.

1WES evaluations do not adhere to the standard conversion for ECTS credits of 2:1; therefore, the credit conversion for these evaluations will be disregarded.

The Department of Music requires an audition of its applicants. For information about repertoire and schedule of auditions, contact the Department of Music at;

Fall Music applicants are responsible for scheduling an audition by contacting the appropriate department before January 1.

The Department of Theatre Arts does not require its applicants to submit to a talent critique. For more information, contact the department at 540-231-5335;

Virginia Tech admits students without regard to disabling conditions. The university makes reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of students with disabilities in the university setting. In doing so, a variety of supplemental services are offered to help offset the functional disadvantages of a disability and help increase students’ educational opportunities.

For evaluation and assistance, students with disabilities attending Virginia Tech should contact: Services for Students with Disabilities, Lavery Hall, Suite 310, Blacksburg, VA 24061; 540-231-3788;

Applicants with disabilities who desire assistance or accommodation in the application or admission process should notify: Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 925 Prices Fork Road, Blacksburg, VA 24061; 540-231-6267;

Virginia Community College (VCCS) graduates with associate degrees based upon a baccalaureate-oriented sequence of courses will be granted junior level status and will fulfill general education requirements. It may take such students longer than two years to complete the baccalaureate because of major prerequisites, additional major specific general education, and other requirements.

Credit from colleges other than Virginia Community Colleges (VCCS) and for VCCS students who have not completed an associate degree will be evaluated course-by-course through the Office of the University Registrar. Transferred courses in which a grade of "C-" or lower was earned, as well as courses taken on a pass/fail or audit basis, are not acceptable for transfer credit. Only grades of "C" or higher in courses consistent with those offered at Virginia Tech are certified for transfer credit. Courses for which a student received Credit by Exam at another university will not be accepted for transfer credit. Contact the College Board to have AP and other prior learning exam scores sent directly to Virginia Tech. Of the credits required for graduation at Virginia Tech, no more than 50 percent may transfer from two-year colleges. All accepted transfer credits are used in the computation of academic eligibility requirements, but are not computed in the GPA. Transfer credit evaluation is made after you have accepted an offer of admission to the university.

Students who wish to appeal their evaluation of credits should consult their Academic Dean's office. A list of college/departmental contacts may be found here.

All entering students are required to have their own personal computer. Specifications vary by major. Information regarding model requirements and available purchase options is updated by May 1 on the Computer Requirement website. For more information about the computer requirement, visit or send email to

Transfer applicants who have a cumulative GPA of 3.60 in previous college work are invited to apply to The Honors College by checking the appropriate box on the Coalition Admissions Application. Students who have demonstrated exceptional creative ability may also request consideration for admission.

For more information, contact: Director, University Honors, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061; (540) 231-4591; fax: (540) 231-4522;;

Virginia Tech's Corps of Cadets is open to all students and is a residential learning community that is dedicated tp developing tomorrow's leaders. While participating in a full-time, military academy life-style, cadets in one of two tracks: Military-or-Citizen-Leader, hone their leadership, time management, and decision-making skills. In addition to their chosen academic track, cadets have the opportunity to receive a minor in leadership through the Corps of Cadets Leader Development program. Cadets are not required to participate in ROTC, but all ROTC students must be members of the Corps. All cadets - except juniors or seniors living with their spouses - are required to live in university residence halls for four years unless excused by the Commandant. The Corps offers scholarships that do not require military service; the ROTC programs offer some scholarships that do.

Contact the Commandant of Cadets, 141 Lane Hall, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061; phone: (540) 231-6858; fax: (540) 231-3443;;