Virginia Tech® home

Policy on Transfer of Virginia Community College Students

By completing the right courses and earning your associate degree with a strong grade point average, you can be assured of admission to certain Virginia Tech colleges or departments. Articulation agreements have been created with Richard Bland College (RBC) and the Virginia Community College System (VCCS). To review the agreements please visit the Office of Undergraduate Admissions’ VCCS Guaranteed Admission Agreements.

Per State Policy on Transfer, students who earn a transferrable associate degree by enrolling in transfer programs at a Virginia Community College or Richard Bland College, and who graduate with associate degrees based upon a baccalaureate-oriented sequence of courses, and who are offered admission to Virginia Tech, will be granted junior level status upon admission. Additionally, these students will have satisfied the requirements of the University Pathways to General Education. It may take such students longer than two years to complete the baccalaureate degree because of major prerequisites and other circumstances or requirements.

The university catalog and other informational and advising materials from departments and colleges will include information about specific additional requirements for specific majors.

Virginia Tech shall work cooperatively with VCCS/RBC to maintain and make available the Virginia Tech-VCCS Transfer Guide, which includes course equivalency information and other program requirements.

While some courses from the Associate of Applied Science degree from a Virginia Community College or Richard Bland College may transfer to Virginia Tech, the Associate of Applied Science degree does not transfer. The student should contact his/her department or advisor for awarding of specific credit for the areas of the Pathways to General Education.

The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) recognizes General Studies Associate degrees earned at some Virginia Community College locations. Students who earn the General Studies Associate degree at recognized institutions will receive junior standing and satisfy Pathways to General Education requirements as outline under Fulfilling Virginia Tech Pathways to General Education, above. Please see the full statement from SCHEV for a list of recognized institutions. Students receiving General Studies Associate degrees from institutions which are not on this list have the opportunity to apply for admission and transfer courses individually as outlined in the Transfer Guide. General Education will not automatically be satisfied, but individual courses may satisfy portions of the general education requirement.